Change the Mascot is a national campaign to end the use of the racial slur “redskins” as the mascot and name of the NFL team in Washington, D.C. Launched by the Oneida Indian Nation, the campaign calls upon the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell to do the right thing and bring an end the use of the racial epithet.
Tues. Worsts: A Dan Snyder Trifecta: why can’t you donate to Native American causes AND change your racist team name?
By: Keith Olbermann
LATEST PRESS RELEASES
NEW! Oneida Nation Praises Leading Native American Organizations for Withdrawing Support for Event Sponsored by Washington NFL Team – click here to read release
Oneida Indian Nation and National Congress of American Indians Applaud the UN for Condemning the Hurtful Name of Washington’s NFL Team – Click here to read the statement
Oneida Indian Nation Statement Regarding Revelations Surrounding the Washington NFL Team’s New Foundation – Click here to read statement
Oneida Indian Nation Statement Regarding Foundation Announcement by Washington NFL Team Owner Dan Snyder – Click here to read statement
Oneida Indian Nation Praises U.S. Patent & Trademark Office’s Rejection of Washington Redskins Product Due to the Derogatory Nature of the R-Word – Click here to read release
Oneida Nation Issues Statement Regarding a Bipartisan Congressional Letter to the NFL Calling for the League to Support Changing the Name of Washington’s Team - Click here to read release
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, Inc. – a coaltion of the nation’s leading civil rights organizations – passed a Resolution Dec. 12 calling on the NFL’s Washington team to change its name – click here to read
Oneida Indian Nation Releases Poll Data Showing That a Name Change by Washington’s NFL Team Would Lead to Continued or Strengthened Support for the Team – click here to read
- View the results of the poll - click here
Read a report by noted psychologist Dr. Michael Friedman on the harmful effects of the use of a racial slur – click here
Read: The Fascination and Frustration with Native American Mascots by Jennifer Guiliano, assistant director of the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities.
Oneida Indian Nation Responds to President Obama’s Historic Comments About Washington’s NFL Team Name The President’s comments come just two days before the Indian Nation’s “Change the Mascot” symposium at the NFL Fall Meeting Read the Press Release – click here
- Watch a short video with highlights from the Symposium – click here
- Watch the Symposium remarks by The Hon. Eleanor Holmes Norton - click here
- Watch the Symposium remarks by The Hon. Betty McCollum – click here
- Watch the Symposium remarks by Dr. Michael Friedman, Psychologist – click here
- Watch the Symposium remarks by Kevin Gover, Director of the National Museum of the American Indian – click here
- Watch the Symposium remarks by Cooperstown (NY) School Board President Dr. David Borgstrom and High School Students Emily Greenberg and Catherine Borgstrom – click here
- Watch the interview with the President on NBC click here